Mike's Newspaper Column

Mike's Newspaper Column
Read Mike's column weekly in the Times Community Newspaper Family, including the legendary Kettering-Oakwood Times, and posted here the following week.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

“The List”

“The List”

By
Mike Scinto

Are you on “The List”? If you are, you know it by now. If you’re not, you’ll likely be wondering why after reading this. But it is open to additions (and deletions). I’m talking about the Scinto Family Christmas card list.

I’m sure there’s a master list somewhere but all I have is in bits and pieces on this laptop, or that desktop. Some of it is on my external hard drive and some is simply in Kathy’s old handwritten address book.

I’m not even privy to the origins of the list or the criteria for staying on, or being banished from, the list. So, at best, these are guesses since my sole role is creating the annual newsletter/update, printing off the labels and taking them to the post office.

I believe the very first parchment with names of the fortunate ones was penned following our wedding nearly 35 years ago. But that original list is hidden better than the Holy Grail. It somehow comes together (most years anyway) and sneaks into my database.

Once you’re on it, it’s tantamount to a lifetime appointment. I’m sure divorce, prison or death can mean an exit for you. In some cases there seems to be a two year rule; If you don’t reciprocate with a card for 24 months you’re thrown under the bus for good………or until you prove yourself worthy again; that is to the “Keeper of the List”.

I know I saw names on there this year that we haven’t heard from in a couple of decades. When I sheepishly ask her about them, I get “the stare” and go back to printing labels.

Don’t shoot the messenger. I’m just delivering the message for Kathy (unofficially). I’m almost afraid to suggest it but if you’d like to make the list, you might discretely ask her. But don’t push it! Be good, try not to cross her this year and you may just have something special in your mailbox about ten months from now……..then again, you may not!