Mike's Newspaper Column

Mike's Newspaper Column
Read Mike's column weekly in the Times Community Newspaper Family, including the legendary Kettering-Oakwood Times, and posted here the following week.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Warm Feeling on a Cold Winter Day


A Warm Feeling on a Cold Winter Day
By
Mike Scinto
            In my line(s) of work (radio/TV and writing) I have become increasingly cognizant of the fact that things we say or do can impact others totally without our ever knowing it. Kathy and I were moved recently when, out of the blue, I received such an acknowledgment via my Facebook account. I want to share it with you just as I saw it. Since I didn’t ask her permission, I have eliminated any business names and the writer’s last name.
Hi Mike! I have wanted to contact you for years and wasn't sure how to go about it. Took a chance I might find you on Facebook and here you are!

              I'm sure you don't remember me but I used to work as a photographer at (A Local) studio. I photographed you, your beautiful wife, and son, Zak a few different times. There was one time in particular that I will remember, I think forever!! It was during our busy holiday season and on this evening, we were extremely busy and the other photographer had to leave early due to a family emergency. You and your family had been in earlier and had returned to view your proofs. In the mean time, a former customer came in that was doing a reshoot and was not happy that I would be the photographer taking her photo that evening. There was a huge scene and of course there were many customers in the store at the time!! I was young and on the verge of tears when I returned to you and your family in the proof viewing room. I can't remember what you said to me exactly but you made some sort of comment about what had just happened to try and make me feel better because you could tell I was obviously upset. And the reason for me contacting you is to tell you how much that meant to me!! It has always stuck with me.

              Whenever I hear the phrase about “a person may not remember what you say but they'll remember how you made them feel” I honestly think about you and how you helped me that evening. I know this may all sound really corny but I just wanted to let you know that you made a difference to someone....to me. Thank you for that!

            Sincerely,    Sallie
As I told Sallie in my reply, while we don’t remember the details, we certainly remember the event…….but not with the impact Sallie shared. Don’t miss your opportunity to impact lives. It likely won’t be a planned impact, and you may never be as fortunate as we were to find out about it, but you will touch lives by offering a caring word of consolation or understanding. But remember the flip side; a negative attitude can likely have the reverse affect. I love Facebook!