Mike's Newspaper Column

Mike's Newspaper Column
Read Mike's column weekly in the Times Community Newspaper Family, including the legendary Kettering-Oakwood Times, and posted here the following week.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Nightmare On Our Street

Journal Entry

This has been the most bizarre 7 weeks I think we've experienced. I'll jump to the past few days. Carly went in for her third surgery in 7 weeks on Monday. The day before, as I was coaching Zak's soccer team at a game in Piqua Hurricane Ike went through. Now, those of you visiting my blog from afar, or who haven't read it before, might wonder what part of Florida or Texas I live in. It's Ohio. We had hurricane (Category 1) winds of 78 MPH in the area. Now to be called a hurricane officially they have to be sustained winds. This was a hurricane, trust me! The high winds and gusts that broke trees in half, tore down buildings and blew trucks off the road, lasted for at least 5 hours. As I sit here under gorgeous skies, about 70 degrees and no humidity I am doing so at our Church. You see, like 2 million others in the Buckeye State, Ike knocked out our power. Much of the power has been restored. But our power in our home, where our daughter will need her G-Tube plugged in when she is released today, has been out for three days now and they say it could be as long as four more days before we get it back. I'll update as we proceed and also post more of the background as well.....but suffice it to say, this has been, AND IS, no fun!